Estimation of gestation length on the basis of fetus
Measurement of fetus age:
Age of different animal at different CR length in OVINE & CAPRINE
Age of different animal at different CR length in PORCINE
Age of different animal at different CR length in EQUINE
Gestational age :
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy period is the period from fertilization to parturition or birth of young and in this time the development of fetus in the uterus in female during this period simple cells derived and develop into highly organized individuals.
- Fetal Development:
- The table below show the general finding of early development stage in the bovine embryo as well as comparing to other domestic species.
- A historic general descriptive overview of fetal development :
- The embryonic period, embryo is 9-10 mm long and sign of extremities appears.
- The extremities develop, the pregnancy cleft has in beginning of this month, the sternum still has a longitudinal tissue in middle closing toward the end of eight week at the ends of second months at the end of each extremity a letter terminal elevation which is colourless & transport, this first is indication of hoof, the length of fetus is 8 cm.
- Toward the end of this month, the fore stomach may recognize, the fetus measure 14 cm in length, the scrotum is present.
- In the beginning of the further hoof become quite distinct , they are firm non transport and have a yellow colour fetus is about 24cm long & weight up to 2 kg.
- In the beginning of month, appearance of lips, chin, upper eye lid & teat are planty invisible testicular into scrotum, fetus is about 35 cm long & weight 2-3 kg.
- The eyelid are more development of fetus, about 46 cm.
- At end this month fetal long hair appear at end of tail have about comet & sport where the horn appear fetus is about 60 cm long.
- The back begin to be covered with hair about edges of ears length of fetus toward the 32nd wks 65 cm & toward end of this month.
- In beginning about body covered with hair and in cross greatly in size fetus is measure from 80-100 cm.
- Beginning this month fetus become mature.
- Assesment of fetal age by Richerson method :
- Richerson at (1970) has shown that long bone length convinently radius & fibula is reliable indicator of fetal age from 50 days gestation.
- Richerson formulate for calculation the age has foetus from its crown anus length.
- Pig x = 3(y+21)
- Calf x=2.5(y+21)
- Lamb x =2.1(y+17)
- Where , x= development age in days
Measurement of fetus age:
- There are certain measurement that can be made on fetus to determine age or growth rate of fetus.
- It is measurement of length of embryos & foetus from top of head (crown) to bottom of buffalo’s rump.
- It is typically determined from ultrasound imaging & can be used to estimate gestation age.
- CR length provide a more reliable measure to estimate age of foetus.
|Age (days)||CR Length (cm)||Fetal weight|
|Gestation age||CR length|
|3 to 4 wks||0.3 to 2 cm|
|5 to 6 wks||2 to 9 cm|
|7 to 9 wks||9 to 15.5 cm|
|10 to 13 wks||15 to 35 cm|
|14 to 18 wks||35 to 40 cm|
|19 to 21 wks||40 to 48 cm|
|Fetal Age (days)||Length (mm)|
|Age in days||Fetus length (CR)|
|25||0.6 to 0.85 cm|
|50||3 to 3.5 cm|
|90||10 to 14 cm|
|120||15 to 20 cm|
|150||25 to 37 cm|
|180||37 to 60 cm|
|210||55 to 70 cm|
|270||80 to 90 cm|
|300||70 to 130 cm|
|330||100 to 150 cm|
- It is week’s gestational age is not same as fertilization age.
- It is takes about 14 days from the first day of last menstrual period for conception to take place and thus for the conceptus to form.
- The age from this points in time (conception) is called the fertilization age is thus 2 week shorter than gestational age of pregnancy.
- Gestational age = CRL(cm)+6.5
- CVR Length: curved crown to rump length
- VR Length : length of vertebrae column
- VRT Length : vertebrae column to tail
- BCVRT Length : total bent length of fetus.